New features in 1.9
1.8 was a temporary bugfix release. So this list here contains
all the changes since version 1.7
Here a link to the "older"
This is a link to the FULL revision
notes for 1.9 (a closer view into the programmers kitchen).
- yEncode support for integrated AutoPoster and binary
- Guided autoposting - A step-by-step guide has been
implemented for easy autoposting
- Watching of replies to own messages with the
"watch" feature (scanning the references header
for the own FQDN).
- 'Header' servers can now be used to download only headers
for the newsgroups. This allows to show the full content
of a group.
- Download limitation of active servers: It is now possible
to restrict the amount of simultanously used hosts. This
allows to contact 2-3 hosts simultanously at
- The PicSorter contains now a "similarity" check
to find 'similar' pictures by content.
- Free verison of 1.9 expires on 31.Dec.2002. Another free
version will be available until then. This is done to
make sure that no 'very old and incompatible' versions
are floating around forever. Full version owners are
directly notified by eMail for new versions.
- Newsreader: "Post - Repost message upstream"
permits to send a single part of a multipart to Usenet
- Most limitations has been removed for the free version.
- AutoPoster: Delay of one second per file removed. The
'Date' is now calculated backwards (one second per post)
- Subject Cancels, Subject Recommendations and
File-Followups are no longer fed to upstream.
- AutoPoster: The option "truncate sorting
prefix" permits own local sorting - but still
AutoPosting with the original filename
- Scheduler download mode '1' does now PREVENT mynews from
downloading the messages. This is used to 'fill' another
- Root servers can now handle up to 1000 clients
- Exception Handler should reduce the amount of unforseen
crashes to null (or a minimum)
- Logfiles can now be set to rotation at a specific size
(usually 1 MB).
- Better 'proxy mode' control - own flags available for
local newsserver and tools in the LAN.
- Host analysis function in the XOVER window (on a marked
block of messages) shows completeness on the servers.
- Cleanup on a lot of dialog boxes. Use of frames makes the
dialogs more attractive and usable.
- Rework of registering names and anonymous versions.
- Full Speed sending is now possible with more than 100
kB/sec. Speed is only limited by the computer/network.
- The Xover window shows now up to 90.000 messages. If more
messages are in the group then the LATEST messages are
- Free version can now use authentication, read bagfiles
- All major 'memory leaks' are fixed now.
- All major 'open files' problems are fixed now (after
irregular termination of connections).
- Upstream feeding is now done without the PATH header line
as some hosts reject such posts.
- A lot of minor bugs has been fixed. A complete list is
available in the "version list".
Limitations of the free version
- It is not permitted to use the free version for
professional or commercial purposes.
- Up to 100 newsgroups can be used. Full & Root
versions permit 1000 groups.
- Up to 10 hosts can be predefined. Full & Root
versions permit 100 hosts.
- Only one root-server (for login) at a time (manual change
- No downloading from other MyNews if a group is not shared
Tiny version limitations
- Tiny versions cannot download if the sharing part is
- Tiny versions cannot create groups which are not in the
global grouplist (i.E.: already on other hosts)
Additional features for the full version
- Scheduled jobs ( and full automatic operation)
- PicSorter and Picture Similarity Compare
- Automatic multiple root-server login,
- Tiny HTTP-Server function
- AutoLogin or AutoDownload at startup.
- Multiple connections to one host
- Feeding to mynews.* groups
- Group-options editing by clicking into the groups-headers
(beginners always use the dialogs)
Additional root server features
- can use a POSTing feed.
- can 'autocreate' newsgroups when a users tries to read
- can act as a "First Host where to LOGIN".
- can autopost more than 20 files in one bunch.
- can access expired articles if the BASE file is still
- can send recommendations for articles which are not
- can send subject cancels for articles which are not
- can send true cancels to Usenet
- can send a true cancel to a moderated newsgroup