Brand new features
Some things are really new and good - here the short
descriptions. The list is sorted by time. Latest feature at the
New features in 1.7:
- This is only a list of the most important new features! More here...
- New database design (huge database files) - if desired
(selectable per group)
- Better support for NewsReader/Tools (OE, Xnews, ....)
- Most restrictions removed for free version
- AutoJoining of single/all groups
- Sharing with Non-MyNews windows servers (Hamster, DNews,
- Cancel Watch Service
- Hidden binary detection service (File-Followups)
- Enormous speedup for refresh, sorting, threading
- Subject-Cancels & Recommendation
- Fully cached xover-files for local articlelist
New features in 1.6:
- Support for non-sharing versions of MyNews (no P2P)
- Manual multipart joining
- Multiple connection to the same Usenet host (full
- Expiry groups by volume (used diskspace
per group) or number of message to keep
- Full grouplist support: Global grouplist and selection of
groups from a (huge) list.
- Protection of newbies against creation of illegal groups
- Extended access security functions (full version)
- Repairing database now transparent for attched
- Complete 'ignorace' to trolls - no contact, no downlaod,
- Complete restriction to 'friends only' - selective
grouplist, selective access.
- Upload bandwidth now controllable in the
range of 8 kB/sec .. 1024 kB/sec.
- Grouplist validation tool for admins - find bogus-BIG8
and wrongly flagged moderated newsgroups
- Usability: Changing mouse cursors and disabling of
'MyNews specific mouse button use'.
- Usability: Help in all windows available
- Usability: Improved appearance - use of colors in most
- STOP-Guide, Read-news Guide
- Access to current logfiles, current connection and event
- Full support for operation on alternative ports. Running multiple
MyNews on one machine now fully supported.
- Speedup header download - by storing all 'group not
available' flags for all servers
- Register button for tiny versions (for easy registration)
- Upload, Verify, Connect to single hosts available now.
- Marking messages as KEEP prevents them from removal and
- Reorganised servers (or single groups) are now very
properly detected (on MyNews- and Usenet hosts)
- Login, Logout, UploadRequest and Register do no
longer 'freeze' MyNews and can be cancelled.
Important bugfixes in 1.6
- Priority by host works now properly -
messages are no more moved to the 'missing-list'
- The GetFile and the Get-Miss file are no more lost.
- Resuming aborted autoposts (due to
disconnect) works now properly.
Version 1.5 (Build 1050) - 12 Feb. 2001
- Guided basic setup makes first
setup far easier.
- Extensive filtering
(watch/kill/forget) during header download based on text.
Scoring and antispam filters.
- Sorting by filename - MyNews allows now to sort the
message list by filenames in the subject line.
- Flexible keyboard - You can
define your own keystrokes now for the built-in
newsreader. The keyboard is now designed as "Forte
- One key picture browsing - MyNews allows now to browse
through downloaded JPG pictures with a single keystroke.
- Traffic monitoring - MyNews
offers now a window which shows curves with the
throughput for every individual server.
- Volume tracking and download limitation by volume -
MyNews tracks now the amount of data downloaded from
payservers. The download is stopped when a per-host
definable limit is reached.
- A wizard like Guide is
available: MyNews offers now better help for the very
- The manual has been completely redesigned. It is now
Version 1.4 (Build 1040) - 20 Dec. 2000
- Group features: Only headers, complete download, filtered
- MyNews allows easy setup for groups which are
designated for manual download selection (only headers),
complete download or dedicated filtering.
- Context menus: MyNews offers now context menus on the
right mouse button in most cases.
- Own socket window - this allows
to control every individual conenction to other servers
- Own host window - this allows to
control every host individually
- Priorities for Hosts has been implemented - MyNews
supports to decide what servers are contacted first for
downloads. This allows you to download most messages from
your provider - and only the rest from a pay-server - and
the very rest from slow servers.
- Easy full automatic operation - An easy setup allows you
to run MyNews unattended. Dialing, Disconnecting, Login.
Logout, Downloading header and/or messages is possible.
Version 1.3 (Build 1016) - 01 Sep. 2000
Version 1.2 (Build 1015) - 28 May 2000