If you are already running an older version of MyNews - here
the most important tips for upgrading to version 1.6:
Receiving a full license
MyNews creates two different license files automatically. The
tiny license (if you dont regsiter your servername online) and
the free license.
If you receive a full license (usually be eMail), then please
proceed these steps:
- Exit MyNews (if still running)
- Copy the received license file to a safe place - best is
still a floppy disk. The received file has the filename:
- Move the old license file(s) also to a safe place. These
files are located in your MyNews directory and are named:
- Copy the new, received license file to your MyNews
- Restart MyNews
- Check the status window: The information section shows a
..... MyName: yourwish ... MyIp: 0.0.0.0 ... FULL version
(Instead of full version you find there also: Free
version, Root server or Tiny version)
Important information on upgrading to version 1.6
MyNews 1.6 will download ALL headers from ALL available hosts
Calculate enough time for the upgrade!
Upgrading from version 1.5
MyNews contains a lot of new features. So some additional
files must be installed. You can either upgrade your existing
installation manually and keep all the old settings, or you can
overwrite all the old settings and configure MyNews again.
Manual upgrade method (keep your old settings)
- Install the new MyNews release into a new folder - give
it the name MYNEWS16.
- Replace the program file: MYNEWS.EXE
- Replace the MANUAL folder with the new
- Copy the new global grouplist to your DATA folder: DATA\grp-sum.dat
- Copy the new extended filetype list to your DATA folder:
- Copy the new keyboard definition file to your DATA
- Restart MyNews
Automatic upgrade method
- Save these files to a floppy disk: They are important!
- Install MyNews completely into the same directory. All
old files be be overwritten (your license is kept).
- Restore the three files (overwrite the fresh ones)
- Restart MyNews and run instantly a repair from: MainWindow
- Server - Repair database
Upgrading from an older version
It is NOT recommended to use the upper described method on
older versions of MyNews (however it might work).
Instead you should install a new version - and move your old
messages to the new installation and 'installing' them with a
- Rename your old MyNews directory from MYNEWS to
- Install a new version into the directory MYNEWS - Dont
start the new version yet !.
- Move the entire content of your old server directory into
your new server directory:
- Move your license file to your new installation: yourserver.name
- Restart MyNews.
- Call the Guide function: Configure - Basic setup