MyNews as a 'Small office news server'
MyNews allows you to create an own news-server for your
- You can place important info for your coworkers and
- You can add a helpdesk for your customers (which is far
better usable than these ugly webboards)
- You can sponsor other newsgroups
Really simple setup - here an example how to start within 5
Ok, it will take 10 minutes....... and I'm still working on
the few lines you need to know here.
Here the steps you go:
- Download the MyNews software
- Start the self explaning installation.
- Start MyNews with a click to the icon which has been
created on the desktop.
- Use these data for the registration of your servername:
Unique server name: Your company name
eMail-address: Your valid eMail
- Go online and allow online registration.
- Enter your providers news-server info.
Skip the first news-server setup if you dont want to
import newsgroups from the Usenet.
- In the basic configuration these values are used for a
Internet-connection: Manual setting - Input+Output rate
Sharing: Yes - I want to share messages with others
Newsreader or tools - Yes, I want to use my
Harddisk-space - Yes, I have LOTS of space on my disk
LAN - I have a private LAN
LAN - Some newsreaders/tools are in my LAN
- The rest of the confirmations are all 'yes, ok,
- Use the menu function: MainWindow - Config -
Parameter setup to set single special options:
- Download-tab: Switch off: Decode attachments
automatically, Show JPEG pictures automatically, Show
pictures while download.
Use SAVE to store the changes.
- Upload-tab: Switch off: Feeding activated if you
dont use a Usenet server.
Use SAVE to store the changes.
- Quit the config.
- Now you enter a few test-newsgroups: mynews.local.test
and mynews.local.general. Use the Guide function Add
newsgroup from the MainWindow.
- Dont activate Get it from Usenet - Activate Get
it from the MyNews network.
- Allow sharing on the lcoal groups.
- Download mode is Getting all messages.
- Dont use the feature Download it now.
- Do this twice for both groups. For better group names you
need a full license:
The free license does allow private groups only in the
mynews.local.* hierarchy! But this should be enough for
testing. You need a full version for commercial use!
- Click the WinBox RUN for watching your
MyNews operations. (Below the menu bar in the MainWindow).
- Now use a news-reader to contact your MyNews. The
settings are simple:
Use the computer IP-address as the news-server and the
standard port 119.
(The IP-address of the computer where MyNews is running
appears in the MyNews-Status window - Information
section: MyIP: x.x.x.x)
- Make a few test-posts and read them with other
Additional security issues
If your MyNews is located on a computer which is visible in
the Internet, then you may want to use additional security
features. This is not necessary for a computer which is visible
only in your local area network. The freeware version allows you
(for private use - or test) - to activate these options:
No newsreaders allowed (this is not used in your local
Accept only MyNews friends.
Then create a 'Good-File' with Secu - Edit friends and enter just
one line there: the name of your own MyNews.
Now all newsreaders from outside are blocked - and all other
For creating 'access restricitons' by IP-Address: Get the full
version and edit the "selective access file".