MyNews and the Hamster
The Hamster is another news-server for private use. Here some
details about it - and how to cooperate:
The Hamster has a few advantages when you compare it with
- It comes with an extremely flexible scripting tool - you
can automatisize nearly everything.
- Hamster comes with a lot of additional programs
- Hamster is open source (GNU) and freeware.
- A lot of programmers are developing on the Hamster - you
can join them
- Hamster downloads and sends also EMAIL! This is a killer
feature if you have multiple eMail accounts.
Of course Hamster has also a few disadvantages compared to
- Hamster is not (yet) designed for P2P - it is not
designed to deliver messages to the Internet.Sharing
messages is not the purpose.
- Hamster is usually downloading ENTIRE newsgroups -
selection is done by filtering and scoring. This is not
too practical for daily use.
So it is hard to use for binary groups - but great for
- ..... (I dont want to investigate further on this -
Hamster is not a competitor, but a good friend and
partner for me)
All this is not important and might be a question of personal
taste. More important is:
Cooperation of Hamster and MyNews users
Both servers speak NNTP - so they should be able to cooperate.
This has not been developed yet, but it might work this way:
If the Hamster- and the MyNews users both have dynamic IP
address services, then they can find each others. Hamster might
be able to feed MyNews with POST (or IHAVE). Hamster are able to
download directly from MyNews.
Perhaps I will create a small tool which allows Hamster users
to contact the MyNews network and use the root server for dynamic
name resolution. Then Hamster might be far easier to find.